First off, let me just warn you that if you read this, you may not agree with me. You may laugh at me or roll your eyes. You may even be offended or angry. And in case you were wondering, this is not a moral or religious issue for me, as it is for some. But I’m prepared to lose a lot of followers over this, and I don’t actually care if I do, because this is a deeply personal issue for me and something I’ve been struggling with for most of my life.
This is why I can’t ship johnlock.
Sorry it’s taken me weeks to respond! So, how long have you got?
- Princes Trust (Palace 2 Palace bike ride was for this too & he’s an ambassador of PT!) The Prince’s Trust is a charity in the United Kingdom founded in 1976 by Charles, Prince of Wales to help young people.
- London’s New End Primary School auctioned off a photo Benedict donated to them.
- Cards for Keeps - a celebrity charity auction run by Stampin’ Up! UK on behalf of children’s charity Coram.
- He has supported and urged fans to donate to the MND charity. ALS/MND charities fund and promote global research into MND and provides support to people affected by Motor Neurone Disease.
- Donated a Spencer Hart suit to Annos Africa. UK based African children’s arts charity running educational arts projects in the Nairobi slums.
- Asked fans to donate to Myeloma UK one year for his birthday. Myeloma is a myeloma/multiple myeloma blood cancer disease
- Cool to be Kind - Benedict Cumberbatch knows it is Cool to be Kind to animals.
- Went to the zoo with a fan with Cystic Fibrosis which was part of her ‘Make A Wish’.
- He is a patrol for Odd Arts. Odd Arts has worked with over 60,000 people, making safer communities and individuals. We are market leaders in issue and evidence based arts work within criminal justice and community settings.
- Urged his fans to donate to the late great Stephen’s Story who was suffering and sadly died of a incurable cancer.
- An auction went live after the High Life interview and photoshoot where they auctioned Benedict’s coat that he wore for the shoot. This was for Flying Start is our global charity partnership, British Airways and Comic Relief UK. The aim is to raise money to help children living incredibly tough lives in the UK and around the world.
- Attended a charity dinner gala with Prince William to celebrate the work of the Royal Marsden. He also attended the Met Gala which is an annual fundraising gala for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City.
- Reportedly brought food for beggars in Kuala Lumpur.
- Read at an event called “Letters Live” for The Reading Agency which raised over eleven thousand pounds for The Reading Agency.
- Fans had (somehow!) found out a t-shirt he had worn was brought at “The Henry Miller Memorial Library. Which is a public benefit, non-profit organization championing the literary, artistic and cultural contributions of the late writer, artist and Big Sur resident Henry Miller.
- Drew a self portrait to auction off for the Willow Foundation which is dedicated to bringing special days to the seriously ill who are between the ages 16 and 40 years of age and live in the United Kingdom.
- Benedict was just one of the guest presenters at the Gold Award Presentation in St. James’s Palace on 19 March. . The DofE is a leading youth Charity the DofE gives all young people aged 14-24 the chance to develop skills for life and work, fulfil their potential and have a brighter future.
- Benedict attended an event to celebrate five Los Angeles high school “stars” in recognition for their excellence in academic achievements, despite the overwhelming obstacles that stand in their way. This charity is called the Children’s Defence Fund.
- He attended a charity gala for The Park Theatre which raised over £100,000 to help build a new education floor at Park Theatre.
- Benedict read (& is honorary Vice President) for The Story of Christmas event which raises funds to support charitable projects that benefit homeless people and disadvantaged children in and around London. The Story of Christmas is supported by private and corporate benefactors, together with famous faces from the worlds of stage and screen who perform live.
- He’s supporting Bowel Cancer UK who have been aiming to save lives and improve the quality of life for all those affected by bowel cancer.
(That’s not including all the other charities and gala’s he attends and help that we don’t know about.)
~ Additionally Benedict joined the Stop the War Coalition protest against the Iraq War in London, addressed activists in a protest sponsored by the Trade Union Congress in Westminster on the suggested risks to the arts due to spending cuts expected in the Spending Review, was a signatory of Amnesty International’s letter to UK Prime Minister David Cameron campaigning for women’s rights in Afghanistan for International Women’s Day 2014, protested against what he perceived were civil liberties violations by the UK Government, publicly backed “Hacked Off' and officiated the same-sex marriage of his friends.
And every year for his birthday his ever growing fan base raise thousands to his chosen charities or charities they want to support. Perhaps the biggest, for example, Cumberbatchweb organises one every year. One year £10K for the Teenage Cancer Trust was raised, last year £15k for Myeloma UK and this year (as it stands currently) £6,163 to The Princes Trust. Not forgetting all the other fans raising large amounts for other charities throughout the year in his name.
“Every good act is charity. A man’s true wealth hereafter is the good that he does in this world to his fellows.” - Moliere.
In the light of a seeming constant intrusion into his whereabouts and privacy, it would be a delight to make a few frenzied discussions on what he does to truly deflect his own fame for good. Take his lead & shine a light into a weary world.